Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Welcome?

If you're here, you are either:

1) an Environmental Consultant;
2) an Environmental Activist;
3) a Student studying Environmental Science;
4) random reader of blogs;
5) out of your mind.

I would like to say you fall somewhere between 1 and 2, but I don't mind 3, 4 or even54.  I have, at times, be considered number 5.  I am an Environmental Consultant...an Environmental Scientist if you will in Texas.  Where in Texas?  I'm sure you'll figure it out as this blog progresses.  Until then, it's a secret. :)  I have worked in this industry for the past 10 years and I have seen many changes.  When I first started I was fresh out school with my undergraduate degree.  I worked with more men then women and I have not a chance in hell of any upward career movement.  Don't work for a machine....you'll never get ahead. I eventually went back and received my Master's degree in Environmental Management.  I'm special like that.

When people ask me what I do and I tell them I get....the "LOOK".  You know, the look that says, is she a crazy activist that burns her bras, chains herself to trees, is a vegan and is a vegan that only eats fruit and veggies that fall off the plant?  (Not that there is anything wrong with activist.  Activist change the world.  I am not an activist and I have nothing against them.  I am trying to get a point across about a stereotype.  Bear with me here.)  I am happy to say that I have never burned my bras (those suckers are expensive why would I do that???), I have never chained myself to a tree (if i wanted to save a tree I would try to find a legal avenue to do so - say have it surveyed and aged to see if it warrants protection or removal or have a determination done to see if it is endangered), I love fruits and veggies!!! (but I buy then from the store - I try to be green and buy them from the farmers markets [hello Sprouts! that is about as farmer market as I get these days] but people get busy and yada yada yada, and I like a good steak cooked medium.  As a matter of fact I also like fish, shellfish, chicken, pork...well you get the point.

I would like to take that "LOOK" off of people's faces when they ask me what I do.  It is not out of the norm for environmental work to be required on all types of projects, from development, transportation, to industry.  It's a whole new world!

I also plan to post when and where environmental meetings are happening.  Groups such as the Society of Texas Environmental Professionals (STEP) {they have both a Fort Worth and Dallas Chapter}, North Texas Association of Environmental Professionals (NTAEP), Texas Association of Environmental Professionals (TAEP), I.C.E, Air and Waste Management Association (AWMA), and Women in the Environment (W.E.).  If you know of any other just shoot it my way and I will post.  BE WARNED - I will not post meetings for political groups unless I have meetings for ALL groups (i.e. republican and democrats, yada yada yada.)  ALSO I will not post meetings for activist groups that have a history of illegal activities.  You know who you are....

So Ready....
Set....
GO!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment